Sunday, September 27, 2015

Confessions of a Teenage Girl: Tea Lovers

   There is nothing I love more than taking a few moments each and every day to sit back and reflect on life while sipping a hot cup of tea, sometimes coffee but mostly tea. These moments of contentment can leave a big impact on the rest of my day, if I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed, a cup of tea can calm and soothe me or if things just seem to be going a bit haywire; tea.


Enjoying some raspberry tea and creative time


 Herbal tea is one of the greatest things in the world (to me) and for almost any type of health problem or condition there is probably a tea for that, low metabolism? Green tea can help with that, green tea extract can speed up metabolism rate by 4%, that's equivalent to about 3-5 cups of tea a day, and if you're an avid tea consumer, then that may be very achievable.
  Now while there isn't a huge amount of scientific evidence that shows that any type of tea can help you sleep better, some studies show that lavender or passion fruit contain chemicals and flavinoids that may help you fall asleep or just help you sleep better when you finally manage to doze off. Spearmint to decrease testosterone levels, peppermint to aid digestion, oolong for lower cholesterol, my favorite chamomile (often spelled camomile) is quite the herbal tea powerhouse with studies showing its beneficial effects ranging from anything from upset stomach to menstrual cramps, chamomile can even help reduce blood glucose levels (which can be very beneficial for those with type 2 diabetes), chamomile tea can also be used topically on the skin and scalp as a relief to such skin irritations like, eczema and psoriasis.


Ginger root, lemon and honey


  I can consume a few mugs of tea in one day so because of this I rarely ever use the steep method, which is pretty much sitting a tea bag in a cup of hot water for a few minutes, I typically put a tea bag in with water and boil it or if I have fresh herbs I'll use a tea ball. From experience I've learned that not only can I make a few cups of tea with just one tea bag, but it is stronger and more potent when I boil the tea as opposed to simply steeping it. A few of my go-to favorites are chamomile for when I'm feeling a bit frazzled and stressed, when I feel myself slipping under the weather I opt for fresh ginger root, honey and lemon, and lastly when I want something to sip on just for the hell of it, I reach for good ole
linden tea.
   Tea is more than just a delicious beverage of choice for me, its a way of life, the health benefits that come with consuming herbal tea ( on a regular basis that is) are amazing and the wide variety of herbs and flavors ensure that you are bound to find one that you like. But the only way to be sure of what flavor you like best is simply to try them, sip, sip. While finding which herbal teas to taste test first can be tricky, knowing the health benefits of certain types is not. So always be sure to conduct your own comprehensive research, and sip slowly.



    Sincerely, Teenage Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment