Saturday, August 22, 2015

Confessions of a Teenage Girl: Crouching Retriever Hidden Fool


   I always wait until the last possible moment to take out the trash, every night somewhere between 10 pm and midnight I finally manage to lug myself to the duty that is garbage disposal ( I'll get back to that).
    I live in a town that is a pleasant cross between backwoods country living and semi bustling city life. My neighborhood is a quiet secluded cul-de-sac, behind each home is a nice amount of wooded area. Behind my home is a very large portion of wooded area with a lake just beyond (it belongs to our neighbor's that live one street over), so we receive lots of lovely creatures in our yard and driveway. Anything from frogs and turtles, to lizards and rabbits and I've even spotted a few turkey and geese, it really is quite awesome.
   So sometime last night as I was fulfilling my duties, I took notice of a rustling in the woods, not the average wind or small creature rustling that I'm used to either. It was a lot louder and occurred more frequently, and it isn't a short walk to where we keep our trash cans, down the walkway, all the way to the end of the driveway just past the fence, so I'm talking a good one hundred yards or so, give or take.
    As I continued my journey down the pathway, bags in hand, the noise not only grows increasingly louder but noticeable closer. I stop, look around (our flood lights just so happened to blow out a few nights prior) not seeing anything out of the ordinary, or so I had thought. As I stood half shrouded by darkness, these two  glowing eyes stare me down, not sure of what it could be I become more than slightly apprehensive, then something strange happened, a switch went off and I tossed the bags down thinking, its a wolf! How cool would it be to take down a wolf!!? I was so pumped and ready, adrenaline flooded my senses as the creature continued to lurk forward, 'this is it,' I thought, ready to pounce on Coco. Wait....what the... Coco? Suddenly I'm no longer surrounded by darkness as the neighbors sensor lights all come on almost simultaneously, I see the man that lives in the house beside mine come out from his garage, calling and cooing for the dog to come inside.
Looking back in the direction of the glowing eyes, I see the big, golden overweight retriever that is Coco, the neighbors timid dog.
     How awesome is that? I almost attacked my neighbors dog!
A middle aged golden retriever named Coco, so apparently my dream of fighting in the dead of the night with a wolf, has been crushed by a Martha Speaks! look alike. I watched the not- so- little dog trot on home as I completed my nightly duty.
     So surely there's a lesson to be learned here, right? Like uh, if you plan on getting down and dirty with a wolf, perhaps wear shoes?
Or when the flood lights are out either replace them asap or always have a flashlight on hand, take the trash out before the night gets darker than a plumbers butt crack? Well if you thought you came here to learn a lesson, hate to burst that bubble of yours, but clearly I'm not qualified to teach life lessons. Now if you need brushing up on wolf attacking techniques, I'm your girl.

          Sincerely,
                    Foolish Wannabe Wolf Fighter

No comments:

Post a Comment